I recently decided to run for city council here in Burlington. I chose to run because I would like to help make some much needed changes to how the city government does business.
The campaign website is now online. The address is JeremyRyan.org. I carefully chose the domain so that the domain would not be useless afterwards. With JeremyRyan.org, I could use it as a constituent website if I win. If I lose, I could use it as a blog and/or use it in any future campaigns. The point is that the web address is very versatile and will never be useless. Anyone considering a domain should not use something like JeremyForCityCouncil.org or Ryan2006.org as both of these domains could end up useless later should I run for something different in 2007.
I’ve included a variety of features that I believe are essential for a good campaign website. I’ve included the following:
- Home page with brief intro on why I’m running, a couple comments from people who support the campaign, and a blog that’s updated regularly along with.
- Positions, Biography, News, Endorsements, Links and Press Kit pages with corresponding information.
- Volunteer signup page with form enabling the volunteer to select how they want to volunteer and allowing them to select what days and times they can commit to.
- Contact us page with form enabling the visitor to send the campaign a message directly from the website.
- Donation form allowing visitors to send a donation directly from the website.
- Mailing list signup form allowing visitors to get on an email list to get updates and notices regarding the campaign.
- A listing of upcoming events I will be involved in.